I’ve been struggling with my to-do list for the past several weeks….okay, maybe months. I just get so overwhelmed and instead of taking things one at a time I just ignore it all and procrastinate. Which makes me even more stressed! Why do I do this to myself?!
With the house looming over us (Okay, don’t get me wrong, it’s exciting, but also terrifying!) and so much to do leading up to and right after move-in, I feel like my regular to do list is becoming a mountain that’s long overdue for conquering. And some of the longest standing items on that list are my blog posts. So, for the third time in a week, here I am with a recipe!
This meal prep lunch is really simple and can be scaled up or down depending on your needs. The original recipe, by Annie Chesson at The Garlic Diaries, serves two. I’ve upped the quantities to make 8 portions (perfect for a week of meal prep for Todd and I). I hope you enjoy making this as much as I do!
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice (4 cups cooked)
- 2 Tbsp EVOO, divided
- 1.5 lbs ground turkey
- 4 tsp cumin, divided
- 4 tsp chili powder, divided
- 4 tsp paprika, divided
- 4 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 4 red bell peppers
- 2 large white onions
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1.5 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 c shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 limes
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- Prepare the rice according to the package directions. Once done, set aside to cool.
- While rice cooks, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add in 1 Tbsp of oil, then add the ground turkey and 2 tsp each of the cumin, chili powder, paprika and oregano. Cook on medium heat until browned, breaking up the turkey as you stir.
- While the turkey cooks, prep the vegetables. Dice the bell peppers and onions, and mince the garlic. Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Once the turkey is done, remove it from the pan and set aside. Add the remaining 1 Tbsp of oil, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook on medium heat for 4-5 minutes, or until the onions have turned translucent and the peppers have begun to soften.
- Add in the cherry tomatoes and the remaining spices (2 tsp each) and stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes more.
- Add the turkey back to the pot along with the brown rice. Stir well to combine. Add the shredded cheddar to the pot and stir until the cheese is melted.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Divide into 8 meal prep containers. Top each with fresh chopped cilantro and a lime wedge.
- Store in the fridge and reheat in the microwave before enjoying!
Start by cooking the brown rice according to the package directions. We just got an Instant Pot, so we cooked the rice in that!
In a separate large pan, add the oil then the ground turkey. Season with 1 tsp of each of the four seasonings. Cook until the turkey is fully browned.
While the turkey cooks, dice the bell peppers, onions, and tomatoes.
After the turkey is done, move it to a bowl and set aside for later. To the pot, add the rest of the oil, then the onions and bell peppers. Add the remainder of the spices, and cook until the onions are translucent and the peppers begin to soften.
Then, add in the tomatoes. Continue cooking for a minute, then add the turkey back to the pan.
Add the brown rice, and the cheese. Stir well to combine.
Now resist the urge to eat straight out of the pot, and dish out into 8 meal prep containers. Serve with a lime wedge and cilantro sprinkled over each one. Let cool completely before refrigerating, and enjoy all week long!